Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Crochet for a Cause & Mother's Day

So, my first charity project hasn't ended up being for the American Cancer Society (still a work in progress). However! It is for a cause that is of great importance to me and my family.

In one of my online communities, someone posted up the need for crochet goods from bags to blankets for Reed's Relief. Their mission statement:

Reed’s Relief provides comfort and diversion to children admitted into intensive care, and to their loving family members. While providing financial assistance through the distribution of goods and services to families of children found in the NICU, PICU, or pediatrics unit, Reed’s Relief brings awareness and education to the general public.

My mom lost a few would-be older siblings before I was born. When I was born, I was three months early. My mom recounts how she wasn't able to hold me and how she would get up painfully early to go to the hospital every morning until I was able to come home. I caused quite a panic. It's easy for me to tell how difficult it must have been for her. My mom kept the hat I came home in. It's basically a rag with a string tied round one end.

So! I'm crocheting a few lovely baby hats and a blanket (my first!) for Reed's Relief. I'll show you my work when it's done. I'm pretty excited to see how the blanket comes out.

In the mean time, crafters, you should check out Reed's Relief!

I finished up a pair of plushes for Mother's Day. Check them out:

Do you have any plans for a Mother's Day project?

No comments:

Post a Comment