Tuesday, April 19, 2011

5 Crochet Items that made me go WTF?

Forward: I have no intention to be mean or have fun at a creator's expense. If someone can explain to me a valid point to these items, I will gladly listen. I tend towards the functional, so frivolous things tend to confuse me.

1: The Apple Cozy.

Around Christmas time, I almost bought a Tupperware Banana Guard as a joke Yankee swap gift. I can totally see the function, albeit easy to make dirty jokes about "guarding your banana"  and it's obvious phallic shape. (I have some goofy friends, what can I do?) Smashed bruised bananas are no good. However, the apple is quite a sturdy fruit. It needs no protection. I can't see myself packing a lunch and tossing in an apple and thinking "Oh wait! It needs a sweater!". Some apple cozies are pretty cute- and maybe I can see the function of having one with some sort of character for a child. Otherwise, I don't get this one at all.

2. Gloveless Fingers or "Glingers"
Alright, I first saw these on Regretsy. I had a good giggle from it. It surprised me to see a few seriously being marketed on Etsy for warmth while typing, texting, knitting ect. Pretty silly.

3. The Crochet Dog "Necklace"

This puppy doesn't look happy. Poor thing. I know some people LOVE LOVE their pets to the point of buying items like this, but personally, I can't help but feel sorry for the animal. This includes doggy costumes at Halloween. Sure it's cute for a photo op, but I can't imagine what it feels like from the animal's perspective.

4. The Crochet Bikini


Now, I should clarify, when done properly (no peep holes and tight stitching), some crochet bikinis can be cute. I'm very modest when hitting the beach. The idea of a bikini is completely lost to me personally but it works for other people. For the most part, crochet doesn't lend to proper coverage. Also, ladies, I know I like a little breast support when swimming. I can't imagine something like this being practical for any average built woman.

5. Toilet Paper Cozy
.....WHY?! Yes, it's cute. And hey! There's obviously a roll out and available if you run out of paper at a friend's house. I just don't understand going out of your way to decorate toilet paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment